Toby has drawn influence from a wide group of people, thoughts, and experiences. This page provides a running list of the sources that may also influence your thoughts and efforts.
Periodically the page will expand with new items as well as direct links to Amazon or other source material.
1. The Modern Firm: Organizational Design for Performance and Growth by John Roberts
Brief: The most fundamental responsibility of a general manager is to craft strategy and design an organization where the strategy can succeed within the economic, political, legal, regulatory, social, and the technological environment the firm operates. A direct challenge to the design is finding alignment within the environment.
The right strategy or design is an ongoing process of adjustment as the environment changes, as the strategy develops, and as the organization evolves.
Table of Contents:
- Strategy and Organization
- Key Concepts for Organization Design
- The Nature and Purpose of the Firm
- Organization for Performance
- Organizing for Growth and Innovation
- Creating the Modern Firm: Management and Leadership Challenges
More on the influence of The Modern Firm.
- Resonant Leadership by Richard E. Boyatzis and Annie McKee
- Thinking in Systems: A Primer by Donella H. Meadows
- The Workforce Scorecard by Mark A. Huselid, Brian E. Becker, and Richard W. Beatty
- Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk by Peter L. Bernstein
- The Future of Ideas by Lawrence Lessig
- The Truth About Thriving in Change by William S. Kane
- The Motivation to Work by Frederick Herzberg, Bernard Mausner, and Barbara Bloch Snyderman
- The New Rules of Marketing and PR by David Meerman Scott
- Working with Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
- The HR Value Proposition by Dave Ulrich
- The Strategy Paradox by Michael Raynor